Education typeuniversity (wo)
TypeInternship and graduation project
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
What will you be doing?One area of improvement of the Target Tracker is on the data association. Currently the Target tracker uses a Global Nearest Neighbour (GNN) approach in order to solve the data association problem. What this entails is:
- Irreversible decisions regarding matching of measurements to targets are being taken with every incoming measurement.
- Long-term occlusions cannot be handled, as targets are being discarded after a short target age
- Accurate data association, all around the vehicle, cannot be achieved without having 360 degrees sensor suite (at least one sensor covering every angle around the vehicle). That means that a target that is not detected for some angle span is being registered as a new target into the Target tracker, which is unwanted.
At the same time, an open question is posed: “How can the Target Tracker become less parameter-dependent and thus more robust and more easily applicable to different applications?”
- A data association algorithm that allows resolving the arising ambiguities based on later evidence is needed. In other words, the data association approach should keep all available assumptions “alive” until future measurements arrive, capable of giving the necessary “answers”. Several data association algorithms offer this possibility as:
- Multiple Hypothesis Tracking.
- Markov Chain Monte Carlo data association
- Particle filter
- Something else…
- Implementation of such a data association approach into the TNO software.
- Testing with the simulation framework should be done first. A prior investigation of typical scenarios (use-cases) and environments (urban, highway application) should be carried out and these scenarios should be implemented.
- Extensive testing on real data should be done, to take all the possible scenarios into account.
- The above open question should be addressed as well.
What do we require of you?We require that you are familiar with system and control theory concepts. You are knowledgeable in C++ or you are willing to learn. Experience with Linux and ROS is beneficial. We like you to start as soon as possible. The thesis fits to a 9 month project (based on full time availability). We require you to work in Helmond at the TNO office to enable you to work with our tools and to have short communication lines.
What can you expect of your work situation?TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
You will work at the Integrated Vehicle Safety department of TNO on the Automotive Campus in Helmond. In this department people are working on developing software for automated driving vehicles. The developed software is tested in pilots and on the public road. (more info on the department: https://www.tno.nl/en/focus-areas/traffic-transport/expertise-groups/research-on-integrated-vehicle-safety/ ). The people are young, enthusiastic and driven. You will work in an open area, within your own team. One of our employees will be your mentor. He will help you to get acquainted with the department and give you guidelines for your research in order to help you to get the best out of it.
What can TNO offer you?You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Contact: Alexis Siagkris Lekkos
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.