San Francisco, CA
About UsLaunched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on, and on our.
About the RoleTwitch is looking for a Principal Engineer to join the Video Team. The team designs essential security controls and event monitoring technologies, contributing to Security concerns across the team, and being general Security experts for all kinds of multiple needs. We’re looking for a person that wants to participate in a positive, encouraging team that cares about the people it protects.
As a Principal Engineer, you will provide technical direction, oversight, and execution guidance for several of the team’s ongoing projects. Engineers will turn to you when they’re not sure how to do something, or which technology option best suits a project. The engineers on this team are focused on individual security project execution; the Principal Engineer is focused on major project security consulting and providing essential design and direction guidance for new projects. We do not expect expertise in all of the team responsibility areas, but we do expect you to be fluent with almost all of them and demonstrate technical expertise in several.
You can expect to learn about all of them to some degree as you spend time on this team and as your role expands. We do not expect that you’re an expert in all of these responsibilities. We want you to be familiar with several of the team's responsibility areas, or well versed in one of them and interested in the other areas.
- Propose and oversee development of security tools and systems to solve capability challenges
- Evaluate the impact to our organization of current security trends, advisories, publications, and academic research.
- Conduct architecture reviews - from high-level web application architecture to OS level parameters to meet security goals
- Design patterns, repeatable guidance, and where necessary, policy
- Recognize and instill good practices in security engineering fields throughout the organization: development, cryptography, network security, security operations, incident response, security intelligence, and more. We’re building good habits across the department
- Security consultation with both product-focused and horizontal teams, both engineering and not
- Design and coordinate cohesive security-centric strategies and toolsets to achieve our team’s goals
- Support periodic on-call escalation responsibilities
- Fluency with AWS
- 8+ years of demonstrated experience with focus in areas such as systems, network or security
- Previous hands-on and high-level experience in systems administration, network administration, or large environment security engineering
- Knowledge of web protocols and an in-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture
- background in Authentication and Authorization concepts
- Software development proficiency (Go, Python, Perl, Java, etc.)
- Comprehension of algorithms and processes for programmatic automation via scripting or programming languages (Go, Python, Ruby, shell, perl, etc.)
- Background in host, network and application security
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or 8+ years equivalent technology experience
- Fluency with Go
- Masters from a Technical Science, Engineering, or Statistics program
- Published works, technical or otherwise, in the security space
- Avid user of Twitch with a passion for the Twitch community
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity &Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.